JSPL recognises education as one of the building blocks of any nation and considers it as a major priority area. The Company aims to nurture young minds and educate them, so that they contribute to the nation’s development. A number of initiatives have been undertaken in this respect and some of the important benchmarks achieved are:
Jindal Global University
In keeping with its Founder Chairman, Sh. O. P. Jindal’s mission to establish global institutions in India that are comparable to the best in the world, JSPL has set up the O. P. Jindal Global University (JGU) and the Jindal Global Law School (JGLS). The educational institutions equip students and faculty with knowledge, skills, scholarship and vision to meet the challenges and demands of globalization.
JGU is a non-profit global University established by the Haryana Private Universities (Second Amendment) Act, 2009 at Sonipat, Haryana (NCR of Delhi) through a generous philanthropic initiative of Mr. Naveen Jindal (Chancellor, JGU). The University Grants Commission (UGC) has already accorded recognition to the O. P. Jindal Global University. JGU and JGLS, which is India’s first global law school, are also recognised by the Bar Council of India (BCI). JGLS is also a member of the American Association of Law Librarians (AALL) and holds a membership of the International Association of Law School.
O.P. Jindal Knowledge Park has been formed to provide a new world of opportunity in technical education :
- O. P. Jindal School-A 10+2 co-educational school with all modern facilities at Raigarh.
- The oldest girl's school in the region (Raigarh) has also been renovated to offer better standard of education and facilities.
- Upgraded school infrastructure and distributed books and other educational materials in schools at Angul and other parts of Odisha, Patratu (Jharkhand) & Raigarh (Chhattisgarh).
- Established Adult Education Centres in Angul, Patratu & Raigarh
Community Teacher Support
- To make up for the deficiency of teachers in government primary, middle & secondary schools in rural areas, 60 teachers have been selected from the local youth to augment the staff strength in various schools. This has not only enabled 10,000 students to upgrade their standard of education, but also generated employment opportunities for the local youth.
- Lack of awareness and inadequate facilities had made education take a back seat in the districts of Raigarh & Patratu. The basic infrastructure in several schools needed urgent overhauling. Having taken note of all this, JSPL has undertaken the following measures to upgrade the facilities in the schools of the adopted villages at Raigarh & Patratu -
- Construction of additional class-rooms, toilets, sheds etc
- Installation of computers and distribution of furniture to various schools
- Arrangement of training classes for teachers and principals
- Appointment of teachers on contract basis
O.P. Jindal Community College
The establishment of O.P. Jindal Community College (OPJCC) in 2011 as an entirely philanthropic, pioneering institution is the realisation of Shri OP Jindal’s vision to educate and train a "skilled workforce who make the products and services of industry as per international standards." Under the astute leadership of CMD JSPL, Mr. Naveen Jindal, the first O.P. Jindal Community College opened its doors in 2007 and was known as O.P. Jindal Institute of Technology and Skills. The college’s mission is "To promote lifelong learning of vocational skills for all, irrespective of age, caste, creed, gender, prior education, and socioeconomic environment."
OPJCC is unique among community colleges in India in that open access is highly valued. The college enrolls all literate students, including school dropouts. Over 37 technical vocational programmes are offered on five campuses located in Angul and Barbil (Odisha), Godda and Patratu (Jharkhand), and Punjipathra (Chhattisgarh). OPJCC also operates four Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) that have been adopted under the Public Private Partnership (PPP) Scheme of the Government of India. The ITIs are located at Sarangarh, Kharsia, Gharghoda in Chhattisgarh, and Barbil in Odisha.
OPJCC emphasizes employability as well as educational and economic mobility. Vocational training programmes prepare students for employment, entrepreneurship, and further studies. Programmes include plumbing, welding, masonry, air conditioning and refrigeration, electronics, electrical wiring (industrial and home), manufacturing, and metallurgy. Nursing and paramedical programmes and hospitality courses are new additions.
Practical, hands-on training aligned with industry requirements is stressed. OPJCC has experienced instructors delivering high quality, relevant, modular courses leading to a certificate, vocational diploma, and associate’s degrees recognized by IGNOU Community College Scheme and the National Council for Vocational Training, India. Instruction is face-to-face in English and local languages. Learners are taught technical content as well as 21st century workplace skills such as occupational safety, time management, critical thinking, and communication skills.
IT Certificate Course
- Exclusively for tribal and marginalized girls belonging to poor families in the remote village of Kunjimora. A computer course of duration of 3/6 weeks has been conducted here after setting up a computer lab in the school in the village. Instructors and teachers have been outsourced from registered and accredited LCC institutes. More than 200 girls have undergone this course and more are expected to join. This initiative is the first of its kind in the area, which has been well received.
- JSPL supports self-help groups for imparting vocational training in tailoring & embroidery in order to empower women from the weaker sections of the society. The staff, material cost, and other infrastructure are borne by JSPL.
- JSPL, Patratu is imparting a beautician course for females, having already trained more than 70. It is also conducting mushroom cultivation training for self-help groups.
Financial support to meritorious and needy students
- As part of its social initiatives, JSPL provides active financial support to the poor, deserving students, who compete in national/technical and other professional courses but are unable to pursue their studies due to their financial condition.
- JSPL, Patratu, established two coaching centres (English/Maths/Science) at the village level, for students from the economically weaker sections of the society.